Friday, May 6, 2011

New Voices: Romi Moondi

Best-selling Kindle Author Romi Moondi

Parody of My Life

It seems that everyone applies the theory "write what you know" into their stories, even if it's just the way their characters feel amidst extraordinary settings.

When it comes to my work, "write what you know" has inspired me from the very beginning.

Maybe it's because there's an endless source of fodder when you're raised by the strictest Indian parents in Canada.

Maybe it's because I only meet the most random men in situations where it's doomed to fail (i.e. a British Barista at Starbucks, an Australian writer, or a Swiss music exec). This leads me to believe that my life is a demented rom-com, which is a huge inspiration in my writing.

Or maybe it's because embarrassing situations define my world, so it's easy to insert them into writing.

My latest effort and first self-published ebook is yet another example of "write what you know."

It's a parody of the bestselling "The Book of Awesome", and my decision to write this came at a rather dark period in my life. Imagine your heart as shards of glass on the floor, then suddenly a dump truck of someone's positive thoughts runs it over. That dump truck was the rise of "The Book of Awesome", in Spring 2010.

So there I was, being blinded with manufactured rainbow-rays of joy, when all I wanted to do was dropkick the universe in the nuts.

And I guess that’s what you'd call "The Book of Awful"---a dropkick to the universe's nuts.

This book is a treasure trove of awkward life experiences. From the time I got head lice as a grown adult, to the struggle to meet normal men online, to my unhealthy obsession with Ryan Reynolds…it all finds its way into the book. Overall "The Book of Awful"'s entries outline one horrific scenario after the next, to demonstrate how much worse life could really be. Because, in my opinion, the road to joy is paved with narrowly avoided collisions, NOT rainbows.

And so, consider this ebook my rebellion to the establishment, because not only is "The Book of Awesome" a marketing jewel of one of the big six publishers (as is its sequel which releases in end of April), but it's also a book that tells you stuff to make you feel good.

And I don't like being told how to feel.

"The Book of Awful" is available on ereaders everywhere, and the rebellion is accepting new recruits. Join me… 

Romi Moondi

Thank you, Romi , for your humorous insight into writing what you know, even if it's awful! Be sure to check out Romi's Amazon bestselling book on Kindle, The Book of Awful.

4 comments:

J.L. Campbell said...

Romi,

Obviously, I've been under a rock or something as this is first I'm hearing about this book.

I'll be sure to check this out. I'm stockpiling books to read if and when my Kindle ship comes in.

Congrats!

Anita Davison said...

What an unusual interview, I was hooked three lines in - and I can totally identify with the 'Life a demented rom-com' too!

Alison DeLuca said...

Well! I certainly must read this book! Checking it out now...Thanks Romi, and thanks, Lisa!

Romi said...

Thanks for featuring me Lisa! :-)

@J.L Hi! Nice to see you here :-) )....don't worry about your rock, I was completely an undercover mother as I wrote this, until BAM! published as an ebook ;-) )

@Anita unusual is a very accurate word when it comes to me ;-) (and FOR ONCE I'd like my life to be a proper rom-com!!)

@Alison thanks for dropping by and reading!

...back from vacation now, time to get into guerrilla marketing mode..I'm in it for the long haul now, .one sale at a time!

Time flies when you're having fun, or writing novels.

It's been a tremendous twelve months. A new job and health issues have impacted my writing time, but I'm still at it, trying to wrap...