Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Can I Pick Em or What? - ABNA Announces Finalists

The Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award finalists have been announced. I was so thrilled to see that among the six finalists picked in the contest, they included Phyllis T. Smith's I am Livia. It was one of the entries in the historical fiction category. In my last ABNA-related post, I pegged it as one of the best entries overall, as the writing was strong and engaging from the first page. The story is set during the Roman period, a tale about the beginnings of Livia, the future wife of Augustus Caesar. Check it out if you have the chance. Congratulations to Phyllis Smith and all the other finalists.

5 comments:

Anita Davison said...

Sultana should have got a prize too - it's a superb story!

Lisa J Yarde said...

Thank you, sweetie, but I did get one of sorts - yesterday someone on Twitter told me how much they loved the story and she's dying to read Sultana's Legacy.It's the little things.

Phyllis T. Smith said...

Than you, Lisa! I really appreciate it coming from you--another writer of historical novels and a Brooklyn based one at that! I broke my thumb during the early part of the ABNA competition. I had all sorts of plans to network with other historical fiction writers and instead I was laying around like a zombie on pain meds. Okay, so this is another chance!

Lisa J Yarde said...

Congrats again, Phyllis. I already cast my vote for you to win, and hope you're feeling better

Phyllis T. Smith said...

Thanks, I'm feeling better or my thumb is! Scary for a writer to have her right hand out of commission so it's a big relief now to be able to write easily once more. Thanks again for your kind comments about my book!

Time flies when you're having fun, or writing novels.

It's been a tremendous twelve months. A new job and health issues have impacted my writing time, but I'm still at it, trying to wrap...