Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sultana's Legacy: Final Cover Art

Got the best email tonight from Lance Ganey, very brilliant cover artist. Sultana's Legacy is ready, at least the cover. The various elements of this book were a struggle to find and settle on. I wanted something that captured the darkness of the period, the sadness of my heroine, Fatima. It had to be a female figure that was similar in some ways to the one for Sultana, somewhat older and more world-weary, but familiar. Again, Orientalist art proved a goldmine. Then I needed a background. Fotolia was a great resource for royalty-free images. GIMP is also one of a self-published author's best resources; never thought I'd learn to layer but it happened.

First, here are the originals.

This is Femme Orientale by Jean Francois Portaels Belgian 1818-1895; available through an attribution license from Creative Commons. If you've seen the cover of Sultana, do you notice the similarities between the figure on that cover and this one? Amazingly, they were done by two different Orientalist artists.

Looking for a fantastic, royalty-free background for your commercial projects? Check out Fotolia.

The layered image. I reversed both the background and female figure, cropped the background and figure separately, and then layered and enlarged the figure to dominate more of the space. All with GIMP. Then I turned to Lance, for his magic. So, here it is:

The final cover final, FINAL with blurb. Lance added the font, which he had drawn for Sultana, enhanced the depth and created some drama. For the back, he used textures and patterns that compliment the front. As he explained, he was aiming for the effect of looking at a light source behind a thin curtain.

I love it. I almost cried when I saw it, but that's just because I'm a sap. What do you think?


12 comments:

Kristina Emmons said...

Love it! Congrats!

Christine Murray said...

Lisa, it's stunning. Very atmospheric and professional :)

Lisa J Yarde said...

Thanks ladies, can't wait to see the proof in the fall.

Michelle Gregory said...

very nice. your covers are always stunning.

Lisa J Yarde said...

Michelle, thank you, you're a dear for saying so.

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

Lisa J Yarde said...

Patricia, thank you! That means so much.

J.B. Chicoine said...

That is a really beautiful cover--you should be very proud!

I also enjoyed quite a few of your previous posts--I really need to make of a point of stopping over here more often! :)

Lisa J Yarde said...

Thanks so much, Bridget. I checked out your site, beautiful watercolors.

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I love the richness of the golden tones, and I've always liked that painting.

Lisa J Yarde said...

Thanks Sam and welcome back from the honeymoon. Book's almost ready for prime time.

Kristen Taber said...

Can't wait to get the newest book. Looks gorgeous!

Time flies when you're having fun, or writing novels.

It's been a tremendous twelve months. A new job and health issues have impacted my writing time, but I'm still at it, trying to wrap...