Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Mammoth Summer of Reading

Now that I have some free time on my hands, guess what I'll be doing for the rest of the summer? Actually, you don't have to guess; I told you in my last post. Those are just the print copies. Highlights include:
  • Ruth Downie's Caveat Emptor & Medicus
  • The Forever Queen by Helen Hollick
  • C.C. Humphrey's Vlad: The Last Confession
  • Conn Iggulden's Khan: Empire of Silver
  • George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series (I'll wait for A Dance With Dragons when HBO's Game of Thrones season 2 is done next year)
  • The Borgia Betrayal by Sara Poole
  • A book by one of my absolute favorites, the woman who inspired my love of historical fiction, Persia Woolley in a re-release of Queen of the Summer Stars.
A summer of books
There are prime choices that I'm looking forward to on Kindle as well, including:
  • Cinders by Michelle Davidson Argyle
  • Elizabeth Chadwick's For the King's Favor
  • Mel Comley's Impending Justice
  • Blockbuster by Sven Michael Davison
  • Alison DeLuca's The Night Watchman Express
  • In Her Name: Empire, by Micheal Hicks
  • The Vampire Relationship Guide, Volume 1: Meeting and Mating by Evelyn LaFont
  • Cartier's Ring by Pearson Moore
  • Cate Rowan's Kismet's Kiss
  • The Black God's War by Moses Siregar III
  • Lindsay Townsend's To Touch the Knight & A Knight's Vow
  • Mike Wells' Wild Child
  • The House of Women by Anne Whitfield
  • Sarah Woodbury's The Last Pendragon    
That's about a tenth of what's on my Kindle right now. All of them will be read and reviewed this summer, either for the HNR blog or any place I like to mouth off about books, like Amazon. You might be wondering, is she really going to through all those books? Um, yeah. If an author really hooks me, I'll read a book a day, with a rare break to eat and pee. Since I'm a semi-insomniac, sleep is also a possibility. But why sleep, when you can read?

What are your summer reading plans? What are you looking forward to the most?  

7 comments:

Victoria Dixon said...

DAMN. No wonder you're so prolific on HNR. I get stuck reading folks Dissertations on the rise and fall of the Seleucid Empire or the Rise and Fall of the Han Dynasty (you know I'm not kidding) and it will take me months to get through some of this stuff. If I can. Most of it, the library will only let me borrow for three weeks and it costs big bucks to buy. I miss reading for fun. I remember I used to do that. Now, I read to do reviews, I read for research for my own books OR to find an agent or publisher. Half the time, even if I'm enjoying a book, I don't seem to have time to finish before it's due back! Can't afford to actually BUY books right now. Grrrr.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I'm honored that my two books are on your list! I have yours on my Kindle, but my list is mammoth, too. :(

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Oh, whoops, you only have Cinders on there. My bad. Still, I'm honored!

Lisa J Yarde said...

Victoria, sorry, but I live for the academic stuff. I would give something of real significance to me for a month's JSTOR subscription! If I didn't write his fic, I think I'd be a librarian or researcher. I have been known to lose hours or perhaps years to my own research, you know, those hours that should be spent writing.

Lisa J Yarde said...

Michelle, I started Cinders tonight! Trouble in paradise from page one. All that blood on the kitchen floor too. This is definitely not "and they lived happily ever after!" Back to my reading.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Lisa - the blood in the kitchen scene is my fave. Hope you enjoy the rest!

Victoria Dixon said...

Oh, don't get me wrong! I love the research, too. I don't think I could write his fiction if I didn't. But when I'm researching, I'm stopping to take notes, I'm thinking about all of it in an analytical, disjointed fashion that doesn't let me just devour the material for the sheer joy of it. And of course, there's research material that's engaging and enjoyable to read (even if you have to stop to take notes, you KNOW there are glorious gems in the notes you're taking) and then there's the kind of material that will put you to sleep. LOL

Time flies when you're having fun, or writing novels.

It's been a tremendous twelve months. A new job and health issues have impacted my writing time, but I'm still at it, trying to wrap...