Thursday, March 17, 2011

Indie Authors Relief Fund

The harsh reality that Japan faces in the wake of the devastating quake and tsunami on March 11 made me wonder what I could do to help. Sure, I've given money to the Red Cross in the hopes that it will reach those who need it most, but I'd like to do more.

Author Kristie Cook has set up the Indie Authors Relief Fund and invites donations to raise money for those still suffering in Japan. Several indie authors, including me, have contributed items for auction. Bidders must provide an email address and the amount placed for bid in the comments. The auction is live now and ends this Sunday at 11:59pm EST.

How can you help? If you're a writer, please consider donating your books or other items, your time in offering a critique, or even a chance to name a character in one of your future books. If you're not a writer, please consider placing a bid. If you can't do any of those things, please help by spreading the word about this relief fund through your tweets, Facebook posts and emails.

The suffering in Japan won't be turned around overnight. It needs sustained contributions and assistance to rebuild the livelihood of Japan's citizens, many of whom are still without basic necessities, desperately searching for loved ones and fearing a nuclear crisis. If you can, please help.

3 comments:

Sheila Lamb said...

Thanks for posting :-)

Heather said...

I'm putting together my donation package as we speak. I think this is a great idea!

Lisa J Yarde said...

Thanks for spreading the word, Sheila. Heather, thanks for donating, it's a great cause.

Time flies when you're having fun, or writing novels.

It's been a tremendous twelve months. A new job and health issues have impacted my writing time, but I'm still at it, trying to wrap...