Thursday, July 29, 2010

Your Author Website

Today, I got an unexpected surprise, courtesy of Tripod. I've used Tripod for a few years to host my author website. It's web-based site building that's easy to navigate and understand, especially for someone like me who has minimal experience with HTML. Lately, some great features with Webon integration have been added to improve content for site builders. In a recent newsletter, my site was nominated as one of four "...very strong examples of what you can do with Webon."


Nice. I put a lot of energy and effort into my website because I know it is important tool in building a readership and promoting a career as a writer. I've learned many valuable lessons in developing my own website, but two stand out: even unpublished authors should have a website and your website should always be up to date. Even before I self-published On Falcon's Wings, I kept my website going. It helped me build an interest in my work among visitors to the site. When the book was available, I already had a list of people whom I knew might be interested in reading it. Also, I kept the site updated with current projects, links to writers' groups, etc. An active site with fresh content promotes your writing, regardless of whether it's available now or still a work in progress. 

Don't have an author website? Time to get one.

4 comments:

Lisa J Yarde said...

Thanks, Michelle.

Anita Davison said...

Nice Lisa, I shall have to go over and have a look to see what has changed.

Updating is what I have to do now....

Michelle Gregory said...

although, now i think i have website envy and i'm considering upgrading mine. or not. if it turns out to be too big a pain to change everything over.

Kristina Emmons said...

That's awesome!

Time flies when you're having fun, or writing novels.

It's been a tremendous twelve months. A new job and health issues have impacted my writing time, but I'm still at it, trying to wrap...