Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Promoting and selling ebooks with Ganxy

Visitors to my author website will notice a change on the page where books can be bought. I'm using Ganxy to facilitate the delivery of ebooks to readers who want to buy direct from me (at a discount) and I'm providing links to major retailers. If you're looking for a simple, easy to use interface for delivery of digital content, Ganxy is a great tool.

To get started, use the link above or go to http://get.ganxy.com/ to set up an account. You have the option to create an account with your email address and password, or sign up through Facebook or SoundCloud. Personally, I prefer the first approach - you never know when FB may tick you off and make you want to delete your account! (That would be another blog post, for another day.)

At Ganxy, you have the option to create two types of campaigns; to sell direct and provide access to retailers or set up time-limited giveaways. I'll be trying the second feature with Sultana: Two Sisters when it's available this winter. There are minimal costs involved with both approaches. If you're selling through Ganxy, you'll receive 90% of the revenue directed to a PayPal account. Note; PayPal charges additional fees for non-US account holders. For giveaways, there's a small fee as well; details to follow in a future blog post.


Step 1: To get started with sales, click on "Sell Directly and Generate Sales" and setup your ebook, adding the title name, author and description. At any stage, you can preview the process.

Step 2: Next, you have the option to sell directly and list retailers who are already selling your content. All the major retailers are there: Apple, Audible, CreateSpace, Kobo, Sony, Smashwords, Walmart, Target, Barnes and Noble (who knows for how long), and of course, Amazon.com and Amazon UK. On Amazon, since there are now multiple sites beyond the US and UK areas, I tried to use my Viewbook.at links (which routes interested buyers to their particular Amazon regional store) only to discovery that Booklinker is now  in charge of this site. Hmm. Will muddle through all that later. I'll update this post if the Viewbook now Booklinker URL's work. 

You can also specify the format(s) offered at each retailer; ebook / print / ebook and print or audiobook. So I've specified On Falcon's Wings as being available as an audiobook through Audible and as an ebook and print from Amazon.com. One issue I found was that every retailer through whom I currently sell books isn't indicated. For instance, my ebooks are available online through Casa del Libro, one of Spain's chain bookstores, but I'd need to have Ganxy approve the link.

On selling your own work, you must provide the formatted files yourself; Ganxy does not offer conversion services. Upload your own DRM-free mobi, ePub or PDF files. Ganxy will review these files before you're allowed to sell directly. If you do want to provide your content for direct sale, be sure to indicate the price. You do not have to enable the direct sales feature; if you want to use Ganxy just to provide links to retailers, no problem.

For each ebook, you also have the option to include social media links to post your showcased work on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google +, AND visitors can subscribe to receive emails from you. I'm using MailChimp already, so I'm not sure about that last bit.

Step 3: Almost done! Now add your ebook cover image (JPEGs and PNGs only) up to 2MBs, any excerpt and YouTube book trailer. Click Finish to share your content via social media or embed it on a website.

Edited to add: Best of all, make ANY updates to your Ganxy product and the changes will appear on your website without you having to reformat anything on the webpage.

What I like

  • The ease of adding ebooks
  • The seamless integration into my website; I'm still muddling along with HTML, but copying a couple lines of code and inserting them into my website was very easy. The final result looks great.
  • Speaking of which, the visual appeal of each showcase for an ebook

What I don't like

  • That I didn't know about Ganxy until earlier this year
  • That it took me so long to get my act together and showcase each of my ebooks.

All of which are issues outside of Ganxy's control. They have made the process incredibly easy and I haven't found anything I don't like about their system for delivering ebooks. Anyone else using Ganxy? I'd love to have your feedback.

Want more information on Ganxy? Find helpful details on how it works.

Here's an example of a finalized Ganxy showcase:

"Sultana: Two Sisters (A Novel of Moorish Spain)" by Lisa J. Yarde on Ganxy

No comments:

Time flies when you're having fun, or writing novels.

It's been a tremendous twelve months. A new job and health issues have impacted my writing time, but I'm still at it, trying to wrap...