Sunday, July 22, 2012

Thanks for a great two years

Today marks another important anniversary for me in a two-year journey of self-publishing. With five thousand copies sold (5,007 to be exact) and earnings totaling just over 12K, the last 24 months have exceeded my expectations at times. The bulk of revenue and associated sales comes from Amazon, specifically through Kindle, which accounts for 89% of earnings. While Amazon has played a huge role for which I'm exceedingly grateful, the coming years will find me trying to break into other markets and extend my reach beyond Kindle. If I have any regrets, it's that I haven't learned everything about self-publishing. Can't deny the gift of perspective.

There are so many people who've helped me along the way and deserve special mention. Anita Davison, whose brilliant story-telling and seven years of continued friendship guided me to Anne Whitfield's dedicated critique group. The group's brilliant members, like my dear friend Mirella Patzer, and Rosemary Morris, helped shape my manuscripts into works that readers have found worthwhile. Other critique groups led me to the naturally talented Gemi Sasson and Sheila Lamb, who've both embarked on their own stellar self-publishing journeys. Participation in ABNA contests earned the friendship of Kristen Wood, a great YA author. Social media tools have led to long Skype chats with Jeanne Kalogridis, whose books I've admired for years. I'm especially grateful to book bloggers like Tara Chevrestt and Deb Gaynor for being incredibly supportive.

I would have never reached this point without the generosity of readers, especially those who have written kind emails with their thoughts about the books. To Cristina, Jen, Beverly, Kathleen & Rae, Julia, Cxandra, Veronica, Deb and Tay, your passion and interest makes all my efforts worthwhile. 


12 comments:

N. Gemini Sasson said...

Lisa, I feel truly honored to have get to know you through the wonders of the internet. If I am ever, ever in NYC again, you and I are going to have a lunch so long, they will kick us out at closing time.

Lisa J Yarde said...

Same here, Gemi, I see what you've done and it inspires and makes me so feel so honored to know you.I'll keep a date open for that lunch any time.

Kristen said...

I'm more grateful than you could ever know for your friendship. Congrats on such a wonderful milestone. As always, I can't wait for your next creation, your next milestone, your next adventure. You are such a wonderful inspiration.

Lisa J Yarde said...

Thanks, Kristen, I'm very grateful for your friendship, advice and support.

Michelle Gregory said...

congrats. :)

Lisa J Yarde said...

Thanks, Michelle.

Anita Davison said...

I'm touched at the mention, Lisa, but it wasn't hard working with your lovely stories. I knew you would overtake me right from the beginning, and when you go onto even better things I shall be cheering from the sidelines.

Lisa J Yarde said...

Thanks Anita, your friendship and encouragement means so much.I'm cheering you on too.

Mirella Patzer said...

Lisa, I owe a huge debt of gratitude to you too. You have unselfishly shared all that you know and have taught me so very much. I value our friendship every day.

Lisa J Yarde said...

Mirella, you know I feel the same about you. It's amazing that as often as we Skype, I always come away from those chats having learned something from you, be it a new method or perspective of looking at things.

Consuelo Saah Baehr said...

This is wonderful news. It lets me believe that talent, ambition, bravado and hard, hard work will take you where you want to go. I am happy for you Lisa.

Lisa J Yarde said...

Thank you, Consuelo, it means a lot. You work just as hard at your books and it shows.

Time flies when you're having fun, or writing novels.

It's been a tremendous twelve months. A new job and health issues have impacted my writing time, but I'm still at it, trying to wrap...