Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Sultana Book Launch Party - Planning

Less of a book launch, more of a celebration of the signing of the Turkish deal on the two books in the series. To date, I've sold 2,678 copies of Sultana over 15 months, with an average rating of 4.3 / 5 stars on Amazon. Sultana's Legacy debuted in October 2011, with 973 copies sold and a rating of 4.3 also. While I'm 16 chapters into the next in the series, Sultana II: Two Sisters, this summer seems like a great time to take a break from the writing and celebrate the books. Why didn't I do this before when the books first came out? Didn't think of it, but now I am. It will be a 2-hour after work / evening event this July since family commitments take me to Wales and Barbados in late summer.

Since this is my first such event, I'm learning like everything else that's new, easy to do if you're willing.

Location, location: Does your book have a setting like mine that lends itself to the location? I've scouted seven locations between downtown Manhattan and south of 70th Street, with Moroccan or Spanish decor, as both books are set in Moorish Spain. Also cost is an important consideration. My total budget is a couple hundred; won't break the bank but will ensure a nice evening.

Entertainment: Food, music, and other entertainment give attendees an incentive to stick around. A private lounge with food, drinks and entertainment (typically a belly dancer) are included at six of the eight venues I'm considering, but the other two also offer a space I can decorate with personal touches. Think rose petals and citrus peels strewn on table tops, votive candles or tea lights. Also, a very gracious friend is offering her talents as a henna artist for the evening.

Books for sale: Assuming that not every attendee has read your book, the party seems like a perfect place to sell copies. Thanks to CreateSpace, I have a dozen free copies of both books, which will be available for discounted sale and signing throughout the evening. I also have business cards and bookmarks with the URLs for the books on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and my website.

Swag: Gotta thank everyone who showed up, right? I found the perfect little beaded organza bags to fill with a few items for all party guests. One lucky attendee will leave at the end of the evening with a Kindle Fire and another will each receive a signed paperback copy of each book.

Have you ever planned a book launch party? Are there any great ideas you can share?

8 comments:

Michelle Gregory said...

haven't done one yet, but i will when i launch Black Heart. hoping you'll post your thoughts, things to consider once it's over, etc.

Lisa J Yarde said...

Thanks, Michelle, I definitely will post about it afterward.

N. Gemini Sasson said...

First, congratulations on the book deal! You're international!!! So happy for you, Lisa.

Second, I'm just a teensy bit jealous of the traveling you'll be doing. Can't wait to hear all about it.

And what a great idea. We're always so busy rushing ahead that we hardly take time to celebrate. You're definitely in the ideal place for venues. Sounds like heaven on all accounts.

Lisa J Yarde said...

Thanks, Gemi. God I wished you lived closer. Don't suppose I could persuade you to move to NYC? Bring the dogs, you know I love dogs. Any other animals would be a stretch but that's why I have a backyard.

Christine Murray said...

Congratulations! You've done so well Lisa, you're an inspiration :)

Lisa J Yarde said...

Thanks, Christine - another person not in NYC. Seriously, you folks all need to move here!

Anita Davison said...

I'm not in NY either - but wish I was. The very best wishes, Lisa - you deserve it.

Lisa J Yarde said...

Anita, I'm going to miss having you there too. You've always been so supportive of both these books and my writing, a great friend.

Time flies when you're having fun, or writing novels.

It's been a tremendous twelve months. A new job and health issues have impacted my writing time, but I'm still at it, trying to wrap...