Wednesday, June 30, 2010

On Falcon's Wings - The Proof

It's a rare moment when I squeal like a little girl, but I did just that on Monday, as the proof for On Falcon's Wings had arrived. Although the Kindle version of the book has been available for more than a week, here, finally, was something I could hold. It was a great feeling, and the continued support of family and friends just makes it better.

Thanks to two great co-workers, with several years in the publishing industry, I've had invaluable lessons on interior layout, including line spacing, section breaks, alignment, trim and formatting page numbers on odd and even pages. Now, I understand perfectly why Quark, rather than Word 2007, can save an indie author a world of frustration.

So, now I'm reading through the book to ensure it's perfect, and of course, I found the obligatory typo. Damn. Better now, than never, I suppose.   


9 comments:

N. Gemini Sasson said...

Incredible feeling, isn't it? Do you keep staring at it from across the room and for a moment think, "Who wrote that? Oh yeah, it was *me*."

Lisa J Yarde said...

Yeah, that's me right now, Gemi, big, idiot grin on my face too. Enjoying it.

Michelle Gregory said...

congrats. there's nothing like holding a book you wrote.

i think i cried when i held my first proof of Eldala from Lulu. and yeah, it still needed a lot of work because i uploaded when i was sick of working with it, so i knew it would need major editing. but i still have that copy. my first baby novel.

June G said...

Wow. The book looks really awesome. The cover gives a real sensibility of another time and place. Many congrats!

Lisa J Yarde said...

Thanks, Michelle and June, I'm really satisfied with how it turned out.

Kristina Emmons said...

Congratulations Lisa! It looks beautiful! How exciting.

Michelle Gregory said...

i forgot to say, beautiful cover. really catches my eye and makes me want to know what's inside.

Lisa J Yarde said...

Thanks, Kristina and Michelle, this story was a labor of love and I've learned a lot in the DIY process.

Anita Davison said...

It looks gorgeous, Lisa, and you made the perfect decision about the cover. Yay!

Time flies when you're having fun, or writing novels.

It's been a tremendous twelve months. A new job and health issues have impacted my writing time, but I'm still at it, trying to wrap...